Medical Requirements for International Students
International students cannot register for classes, even during new student orientation, until UHS has received documentation that they have met the following medical clearance requirements.
Please print the TB and Vaccination History for International Students form.
Have your healthcare provider complete and sign it. If you are currently outside the United States, your healthcare provider should NOT complete the TB Screening section of this form. The TB test must be administered while you are in the United States.
Medical requirements for international students:
- TB test: Documentation of a PPD (Mantoux) skin test for tuberculosis administered, interpreted, and reported in millimeters (mm) in the United States regardless of prior BCG vaccination or an IGRA TB blood test. For students entering UT in the Spring, Summer or Fall 2014, the TB test must be administered on or after September 1, 2013.
- Meningococcal (bacterial meningitis) vaccine requirement. This vaccine must have been administered within 5 years of the first day of classes of the semester you will enter UT Austin. If you have had a meningococcal vaccine, but it was administered longer ago than described above, you must receive another dose of the vaccine.
You are EXEMPT from this requirement and do not have to submit any documentation to University Health Services if:
You are entering in January 2014 or thereafter and will be age 22 or older on the first day of classes of the semester in which you are entering.
- MMR vaccine: Documentation of TWO DOSES of MEASLES/MUMPS/RUBELLA (MMR) vaccine:
- FIRST DOSE - Administered since January 1, 1968 and on or after the first birthday.
- SECOND DOSE - Administered at least 28 days after the first dose.
- Documented immunity:
- MEASLES AND MUMPS DISEASE - By documented physician-diagnosed history of the disease or blood test (titer) showing protective antibodies.
- RUBELLA - By blood test (titer) showing a protective antibody. (Physician-diagnosed history of rubella is not acceptable as proof of immunity.)
As Soon as You Arrive In Austin...
Go to University Health Services, located in the Student Services Building (100 W. Dean Keeton Street, Second Floor Immunization Clinic) to turn in your TB and Vaccination History Form or any other documentation of immunizations or TB testing.
If you have not received required immunizations or TB testing or do not have the necessary documentation to prove that you've had the required immunizations and TB testing, call 512/475-8301 to schedule an appointment to complete these requirements.
Again, you must comply with these requirements before you can register for classes.
University Health Services administers the tuberculosis IGRA blood tests for incoming international students.
To learn about immunizations that are not required but are recommended for university students in the United States, please click the following link.
To learn how to get immunizations and TB tests at UHS, please click the link below.
For questions regarding medical clearance requirements and medical bars, call the UHS Immunization Compliance department at (512) 475-8301 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please provide your UT EID. Please be as detailed as possible about your question or circumstance.
As soon as you arrive in Austin...
Meningococcal Vaccine Requirement for All Students
Health Insurance and UHS
Resource for Health Insurance for International Students
Information for Parents
Immunizations and Allergy Shots