UT University Health Services

Longhorn Parents

UHS cares about your Longhorn’s success. Your student will receive the highest quality care in a supportive environment. Expect everything from UHS that you get from your family doctor and more.

Parents’ To-Do List:

Ease your Longhorn's transition and your worries by taking care of these tasks before they arrive on campus.

  1. Make sure the vaccine and medical clearance requirements have been met before your student can register for classes
    Domestic Students
    International Students
  2. If your Longhorn is a minor, review the Minor Consent for Treatment information.
  3. Determine whether UHS accepts your Longhorn’s insurance if they are insured. See the Charges and Insurance page. Review benefits of and consider purchasing the optional Student Health Insurance Plan if they are uninsured.
  4. If insured, provide your student with copies of their medical, prescription drug, dental and/or vision insurance cards (or information).
    • Explain how to contact their insurance company online and by phone. If the plan requires the use of a specific hospital, write it on their card.
    • Educate your Longhorn on how insurance works, including what their plan(s) covers, in-network vs. out-of-network care, co-pays, co-insurance and deductibles, requirements for pre-approval and whether, in what circumstances and how soon they must notify the insurance company after hospitalization or emergency room care.
  5. Ask your Longhorn if they want to give you eProxy online payment privileges. UHS can post your Longhorn's balance, but not the reasons for their visit, to their What I Owe page. Parents with eProxy privileges can pay online. Learn more about eProxy Privileges.
  6. Help them complete their health history forms that are required to use UHS. Complete these forms by logging into the MyUHS portal and navigating to the Health History tab on in the left navigation.
  7. Plan how to manage their prescription medications. Explain the difference between a prescription refill and a renewal and how to get both. Plan for refills or renewals, so they do not run out of medication. Give them contact information for healthcare providers who prescribe their medications. If they are from out of town, help them locate a pharmacy in Austin.
  8. Stock their medicine cabinet and residence hall room first-aid kit. UHS Advice Line nurses often recommend over-the-counter medications and first-aid supplies when giving self-care advice to students, and they almost always ask for their temperature. You will do the same when your Longhorn is injured or not feeling well and calls you.
  9. Supply them with hand sanitizer. Clean hands help prevent the most common illnesses that make students miss class. Encourage frequent hand washing/sanitizing to prevent colds, flu, sore throats and stomach upsets.
  10. Learn about AlcoholEdu and Sexual Assault Prevention for Undergraduates, the required online alcohol, drug and healthy relationships programs for all incoming students. Remind your student of deadlines for completing these programs. Learn strategies to engage your son or daughter in thoughtful and constructive conversations about how to stay healthy and well in college and beyond and read about the effectiveness of this program on college campuses.
  11. Transitioning Care for Students with Chronic Medical Conditions
    • Speak with the healthcare provider who currently manages your Longhorn’s care to determine if they can continue to do so or if it is necessary to transfer care to a specialist in Austin. The current provider or student’s insurance company, if insured, can help provide a referral to a local specialist.
    • Students with chronic medical conditions requiring ongoing monitoring and/or treatment should schedule an appointment with a provider in the UHS General Medicine clinic. This way, UHS has your student’s health history documented in their chart which is important information for the provider to know when treating the student for routine medical care. UHS providers are board certified in family medicine, internal medicine, and sports medicine—specialty care will be referred to a provider in the community.
    • UT students who have started an allergy desensitization program (allergy shots) with an allergist or require other injectable medications can get their shots at UHS. Texas requires injection orders from a provider licensed to practice in Texas. If your Longhorn is coming from out of state, it is important that they establish care with a local specialist to prescribe their injection as soon as possible to prevent any delays in treatment.
    • For questions about transitioning mental health care, including psychiatric care, call the Counseling and Mental Health Center at 512-471-3515.

Useful Links

hours Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm by appointment Monday - Friday, 8am to 5pm
by appointment
512) 471-4955 (512) 471-4955
email uhs Email UHS

University Health Services is committed to providing high-quality care to patients of all ages, races, ethnicities, physical abilities or attributes, religions, sexual orientations, or gender identities/expression.


100 West Dean Keeton
Student Services Building (SSB)


go here to access our facebook channel go here to access our twitter channel go here to access our instagram channel


Incoming Students
International Students
Dell Medical Students
LGBTQIA+ Inclusive Healthcare
Faculty and Staff

university of texas at austin university health services
university of texas at austin division of student affairs