Student organizations are critical to the University of Texas at Austin’s ability to embody and promote a culture of health. The mission of HSOP is to support registered and/or sponsored UT Austin organizations in integrating health and wellbeing into their own groups’ practices. More workplaces are integrating health and wellbeing initiatives into their organizational mission and structure. Successfully implementing healthy practices within your organization lays the foundation for future success in your professional career. The Healthy Student Organization Program [HSOP] is housed in the Longhorn Wellness Center. We support organizations in reaching their self-selected goals by capacity building, providing a toolkit, and resource sharing. Groups have the opportunity to reach bronze, silver, or gold status based on a point system that incentivizes healthy practices. Those that reach one of the tiers will receive public recognition and an official certificate during our awards ceremony at City Hall in April. Being a part of HSOP supports student groups aiming to achieve the Healthiest Organization Award, given every year by the Office of the Dean of Students during the Evening of the Stars Reception.
What does the program include?
- Toolkit: Student group-oriented health and wellness guide containing examples of different actions, activities, and planning methods that organizations and members can use to earn points as Healthy Student Organizations.
- Recognition: Awards and public recognition for the organization's achievements, including an end-of-the-year ceremony at City Hall and prizes from local businesses.
- Resources: Connection to information and resources to make it easier to access physical activity, nutrition, and other health programming on or near campus. Consultations with the Longhorn Wellness Center for events or programming ideas are also available.
Recruitment of student organizations
| Fall Kick-off
|| Take action on healthy initiatives, fill out Activity Tracker
|| Activity Tracker due, Awards Ceremony
How is this program valuable for me and my organization?
- Positive publicity from both UT Austin and the City of Austin to increase recruitment and organization's profile
- Receive certificates and prize packs from local businesses at the City Hall Awards Ceremony
- Receive assistance and support in goal-setting and implementation of health initiatives
- Enjoyable activities to keep members engaged and feel more connected, increasing member retention.
- Connect with other Healthy Student Organizations
- Resources to make healthy practices the norm for your group
- Ease officer transitions by documenting activities and achievements
- Leadership opportunity to showcase organization and members' accomplishments
- Healthy group practices means happier members!
How do we earn points towards recognition?
Participating organizations receive a link to an online Activity Tracker that includes questions about different actions student organizations can take related to health and wellbeing. For each question you answer or activity completed, you earn points. Answers are saved automatically and you can log actions throughout the academic year.
Organizations meeting any award tier will receive recognition and awards.
How do I get started?
- Send an email to HSOP@austin.utexas.edu or call the phone number of the Longhorn Wellness Center Office in the “Get Involved” section to schedule a brief introduction meeting or phone call.
- Officers of participating organizations must join the “Healthy Student Organization Program 2019-2020” Facebook group.
- You'll receive the HSOP Toolkit full of resources and a custom link to an Activity Tracker you can use to record your activities throughout the year
- Record activities in your Activity Tracker and submit answers by the deadline to be eligible to attend the annual Awards Ceremony at City Hall.
Toolkit and Advising
You can download the Healthy Student Organization Program Toolkit with tips, resources, and program details. Also, you can schedule an advising meeting with University Health Services at any time either to discuss how the Longhorn Wellness Center team can best be a resource to your organization for advice, information, and/or support or to learn more about the program.
Interested in getting involved or have any questions about the program? Please contact HSOP@austin.utexas.edu or call (512) 475-8252.
2018-2019 Healthy Student Organizations Awardees
Congratulations to the 2018-2019 Healthy Student Organization Program Awardees and thank you for your outstanding health and wellness accomplishments.
- Alpha Epsilon Delta
- Camp Kesem
- Engineers for a Sustainable World
- Global Medical Training
- Health Science Scholars Council
- Ismaili Muslim Students Association
- Longhorn Hindu Student Association
- Longhorn Pre-Pharmacy Association
- NAMI on Campus
- Natural Sciences Council
- Student Health Advisory Committee
- Texas Blazers
- Texas Bluebonnets
- Texas Infinites
- Texas Ladybirds
- Texas Public Health
- Texas Running Club
- Texas Taekwondo
- Texas Transfer Students
- Undergraduate Business Council
- Students for Planned Parenthood
- Texas Pearls
- Texas Wranglers
- Tzu Chi Collegiate Association
- American Medical Student Association
- Black Health Professions
- Global Nutrition in Medicine
- Student Engineering Council
- Texas Crew