Eligibility to Use Counseling and Mental Health Center Services


No Additional Summer Fee and Summer 2024 Usage and Eligibility

Whether you're taking summer classes or just taking a break before the Fall 2024 semester, you can still use the Counseling and Mental Health Center without any additional summer fee. Your eligibility to use these services depends on your enrollment status and where you currently live.

Your current enrollment status and current state of residence determine your ability to use the services provided by Counseling and Mental Health Center. This is because CMHC services are funded, in part, by tuition and most CMHC providers can only practice in the state of Texas.

Determine your eligibility to use CMHC services by reading through the information below

Current Students

What is Your Current Enrollment Status?

Enrollment Status Eligibility Dates
You are enrolled in Summer 2024 classes. You can use CMHC services from June 1, 2024 to August 16, 2024.
You are enrolled in Fall 2024 classes. You can use CMHC services from August 17, 2024 to January 10, 2025.
You were enrolled in the immediate past semester and intend to enroll next semester. (For example: enrolled in the spring, taking summer off, and will enroll in classes again in the fall). You can use CMHC services through spring, summer and fall with no break in service.

What is Your Current State of Residence?

State of Residence Available Services
Within the State of Texas. If you are currently living within the state of Texas and meet one of the enrollment criteria above, you can use all CMHC services. CMHC provides services through both in-person and telehealth appointments.
Outside the State of Texas

If you are currently living outside of the State of Texas and meet one of the enrollment criteria above, you may access these services:

  • TimelyCare - 3rd party network of mental health professionals representing a broad array of identities and language proficiencies.
  • 24/7 Crisis Line, providing 24/7 crisis counseling support. Call 512-471-2255 (CALL).

Post-Doctoral Fellows and University / Visiting Scholars Currently Living in Texas

These individuals are not officially registered for classes at UT Austin. To be seen by a provider at CMHC, first provide specific documentation to verify your assignment and then pay the service extension fee. To pay the fee and for assistance, call CMHC at 512-471-3515.

Faculty and Staff

UT faculty and staff who are currently living in Texas can access the Employee Assistance Program for counseling services.

Who Cannot Access CMHC Services

  • Graduating students who will not return the semester following graduation.
  • Those who last attended UT more than one semester prior to the current semester.
  • Partners and children of UT students.